Monday 2 February 2015

Millionaire's Shortbread

This idea started with squares. I had leftover salted caramel sitting in my fridge and was wondering what I could do with it. While cruising through some recipes I came across one for Millionaire's Shortbread, a tasty looking square built of shortbread, caramel and chocolate. Sounded delicious and I wanted to try. 
I started out by making an easy 3 ingredient shortbread recipe and baking it. While it was in the oven I started thinking about those people that have the ability to just make up a recipe. I have always been jealous of that and thought, why couldn't I? So I decided I was going to make Millionaire's Shortbread Cupcakes. Why not? (Spoil alert: After I made these I did some googling and turns out this was not an independent thought and has been made by several other people. Oh well.) 


 
Before the shortbread fully cooled I cut several slices into triangles as I knew I wanted shard type pieces to stick into the top of the frosting. 

I started with a basic vanilla batter. I chopped up about 1/2 cup of my now cooled short bread into small pieces and threw them into the batter and gently mixed them in. 
While the cupcakes were cooling on the counter I whipped up some simple chocolate buttercream. (Next time I would use a dark chocolate ganache type icing, but in a pinch the buttercream worked fine) 
I cored the cupcakes and filled them with the leftover salted caramel and then topped with a swirl of the buttercream and placed a shard of the shortbread on the top. 




No comments:

Post a Comment